borg-recreate - Re-create archives
borg [common options] recreate [options] [REPOSITORY_OR_ARCHIVE] [PATH...]
Recreate the contents of existing archives.
This is an experimental
feature. Do not
use this on your only
, and PATH have the exact same semantics as in
"borg create". If PATHs are specified the resulting archive will
only contain files from these PATHs.
Note that all paths in an archive are relative, therefore absolute
patterns/paths will not
allows to change the compression of existing data in
archives. Due to how Borg stores compressed size information this might
display incorrect information for archives that were not recreated at the same
time. There is no risk of data loss by this.
will re-chunk all files in the archive, this can be used
to have upgraded Borg 0.xx or Attic archives deduplicate with Borg 1.x
USE WITH CAUTION.
Depending on the PATHs and patterns given, recreate can
be used to permanently delete files from archives. When in doubt, use
--dry-run --verbose --list
to see how patterns/PATHS are interpreted.
The archive being recreated is only removed after the operation completes. The
archive that is built during the operation exists at the same time at
"<ARCHIVE>.recreate". The new archive will have a different
the original archive is not replaced, instead a new archive
When rechunking space usage can be substantial, expect at least the entire
deduplicated size of the archives using the previous chunker params. When
recompressing expect approx. (throughput / checkpoint-interval) in space
usage, assuming all chunks are recompressed.
for common options of Borg commands.
- repository/archive to recreate
- paths to recreate; patterns are supported
- output verbose list of items (files, dirs, ...)
- --filter STATUSCHARS
- only display items with the given status characters (listed
in borg create --help)
- -n, --dry-run
- do not change anything
- -s, --stats
- print statistics at end
- -e PATTERN, --exclude PATTERN
- exclude paths matching PATTERN
- --exclude-from EXCLUDEFILE
- read exclude patterns from EXCLUDEFILE, one per line
- --pattern PATTERN
- experimental: include/exclude paths matching PATTERN
- --patterns-from PATTERNFILE
- experimental: read include/exclude patterns from
PATTERNFILE, one per line
- exclude directories that contain a CACHEDIR.TAG file
- --exclude-if-present NAME
- exclude directories that are tagged by containing a
filesystem object with the given NAME
- if tag objects are specified with
--exclude-if-present, don't omit the tag objects themselves from
the backup archive
- --target TARGET
- create a new archive with the name ARCHIVE, do not replace
existing archive (only applies for a single archive)
- -c SECONDS, --checkpoint-interval SECONDS
- write checkpoint every SECONDS seconds (Default: 1800)
- --comment COMMENT
- add a comment text to the archive
- --timestamp TIMESTAMP
- manually specify the archive creation date/time (UTC,
yyyy-mm-ddThh:mm:ss format). alternatively, give a reference
- -C COMPRESSION, --compression COMPRESSION
- select compression algorithm, see the output of the
"borg help compression" command for details.
- recompress data chunks according to --compression if
if-different. When always, chunks that are already
compressed that way are not skipped, but compressed again. Only the
algorithm is considered for if-different, not the compression level
- --chunker-params PARAMS
- specify the chunker parameters (CHUNK_MIN_EXP,
CHUNK_MAX_EXP, HASH_MASK_BITS, HASH_WINDOW_SIZE) or default to use
the current defaults. default: 19,23,21,4095
# Make old (Attic / Borg 0.xx) archives deduplicate with Borg 1.x archives.
# Archives created with Borg 1.1+ and the default chunker params are skipped
# (archive ID stays the same).
$ borg recreate /mnt/backup --chunker-params default --progress
# Create a backup with little but fast compression
$ borg create /mnt/backup::archive /some/files --compression lz4
# Then compress it - this might take longer, but the backup has already completed,
# so no inconsistencies from a long-running backup job.
$ borg recreate /mnt/backup::archive --recompress --compression zlib,9
# Remove unwanted files from all archives in a repository.
# Note the relative path for the --exclude option - archives only contain relative paths.
$ borg recreate /mnt/backup --exclude home/icke/Pictures/drunk_photos
# Change archive comment
$ borg create --comment "This is a comment" /mnt/backup::archivename ~
$ borg info /mnt/backup::archivename
Comment: This is a comment
$ borg recreate --comment "This is a better comment" /mnt/backup::archivename
$ borg info /mnt/backup::archivename
Comment: This is a better comment
The Borg Collective