cairo-dock - A dock to launch your programs easily.
is a pretty, light and convenient interface to your desktop,
able to replace advantageously your system panel!
It features multi-docks, taskbar, launchers
and a lot of useful
can be detached from the dock to act as desktop widgets.
Numerous ready-to-use themes
are downloadable in 1 click, and can be
easily customized at your convenience.
It can use hardware acceleration
(OpenGL) to be very fast and low on CPU.
It's recommended to install the PLUG-INS package ( cairo-dock-plug-ins
to have access to more views, dialogues and many plug-ins and applets.
are available :
You can launch Cairo-Dock
with several options :
(Note : you can use these options in one block. For example :
cairo-dock -oia )
- -c, --cairo
- Force Cairo backend. Use this option if you have issue with
the OpenGL mode.
- -o, --opengl
- Force OpenGL backend. Cairo-Dock with OpenGL/Hardware
- -O, --indirect-opengl
- Use OpenGL backend with indirect rendering. There are very
few case where this option should be used.
- -A, --ask-backend
- Ask again on startup which backend to use.
- -l, --log [option]
- Log verbosity (options : debug, message, warning, critical,
error - default is 'warning').
For example : cairo-dock -l debug
- -F, --colors
- Force to display some output messages with colors even if
these messages are not displayed into a tty.
- -w, --wait
- Wait for N seconds before starting. This is useful if you
notice some problems when the dock starts with the session.
- -a, --keep-above
- Force to keep the dock above other windows.
- -s, --no-sticky
- Don't make the dock appear on all desktops.
- -e, --env
- Force the dock to consider this environment (gnome, xfce,
etc.) - it may crash the dock if not set properly.
- -d, --dir
- Force the dock to load the configuration in this directory
(default is ~/.config/cairo-dock).
- -m, --maintenance
- Allow to edit the config before the dock is started and
show the config panel on startup.
- -x, --exclude
- Exclude a given plug-in from activating (it is still loaded
- -f, --safe-mode
- Don't load any plug-ins and show the theme manager on
- -W, --metacity-workaround
- Work around some bugs in Metacity Window-Manager (invisible
dialogs or sub-docks)
- -M, --modules-dir
- Ask the dock to load additional modules contained in this
directory (though it is unsafe for your dock to load unofficial
- -T, --testing
- For debugging purpose only. The crash manager will not be
started to hunt down the bugs.
- -E, --easter-eggs
- For debugging purpose only. Some hidden and still unstable
options will be activated.
- -S, --server
- Address of a server containing additional themes. This will
overwrite the default server address.
- -k, --locked
- Lock the dock so that any modification is impossible for
Some other options with an output in the terminal :
- -v, --version
- Print version and quit.
- -h, --help
- Show the help and quit.
- -C, --capuccino
- Cairo-Dock makes anything, including coffee !
- Your config files are saved in this repertory. You can use
'-d' option to change it.
- Data files for Cairo-Dock.
- Binary files for Cairo-Dock and its plug-ins.
Most of the Cairo-Dock
project was written by Fabrice Rey
The Cairo-Dock Team
is currently formed by Fabounet
With the help of Eduardo Mucelli
for our third-party applets.
Thanks to our former developers: Mav
(Yann Sladek), Tofe
(Christophe Chapuis), Nochka85
(Yann Dulieu), ChanGFu
(Rémy Robertson), Paradoxxx Zero
(Adrien Pilleboue), Rom1
(Romain Perol), Ctaf
as well as numerous beta testers and
contributors: lylambda, taiebot65, Franksuse64, ppmt, etc. see the 'About'
menu in the dock and this web page.
Don't hesitate to contribute to this project ;)
Please have a look at this wiki page:
This manual page was started by Julien Lavergne
<email@example.com>, for the Debian project (but may be used by
Updated by Matthieu Baerts (matttbe) <firstname.lastname@example.org>.
Your bug is maybe a recurrent problem
(black background, window at
startup (use -c or -o), problem with OpenGL, etc.). Please go to:
For any other bugs, you can post them on Cairo-Dock forum:
or on Launchpad