chewmail - mail archiver
[OPTIONS] <MAILBOX> ...
is a program for archiving mail. It is inspired by the by the
, but with more useful semantics. All mail is
archived to the mailbox specified with the --output-box
switch, in mbox
format. It can read mailboxes in mbox, Maildir and MH formats.
uses Mail::Box, so it support file names and URLs
supported by that module.
- -o mailbox-format,
- The mailbox to archive messages to. The mailbox is run
through the Date::Format module, so it supports all it's conversion
specifiers. The date and time is relative to the messages timestamp, or
the current time if the timestamp is impossible to determine. A sample of
the conversion specifiers follows:
%b month abbr
%d numeric day of the month, with leading zeros (eg 01..31)
%e numeric day of the month, without leading zeros (eg 1..31)
%G GPS week number (weeks since January 6, 1980)
%h month abbr
%H hour, 24 hour clock, leading 0's)
%I hour, 12 hour clock, leading 0's)
%j day of the year
%l hour, 12 hour clock
%L month number, starting with 1
%m month number, starting with 01
%o ornate day of month -- "1st", "2nd", "25th", etc.
%U week number, Sunday as first day of week
%w day of the week, numerically, Sunday == 0
%W week number, Monday as first day of week
%x date format: 11/19/94
%y year (2 digits)
%Y year (4 digits)
- -d days-old, --days=days-old
- Only archive messages older than than this many days.
- -D date, --date=date
- Only archive messages old than this date. The date
can be any date understood by Perl's Date::Parse module.
- -R, --only-read
- Only archive messages that are marked seen or read.
- Synchonize the mailboxes after every message is moved. This
will be substantially slower but may provide better recovery for some
mailbox formats in the event of a crash.
- Preserve the atime and mtime of the input mailbox. This
only affects file-based mailboxes, such as mbox.
- -n, --dry-run
- Go through all the motions of archiving the mail, but don't
actually change any mailboxes.
- -v, --verbose
- Output more informational messages. Use multiple times for
- -q, --quiet
- Don't output any messages other than error messages.
- -V, --version
- Print the version number then exit.
- -h, --help
- Print usage information then exit.
Archive two day old messages in inbox
chewmail --days 2 -o inbox-old inbox
Archive read messages to a mailbox named the year-month of the message:
chewmail --only-read -o %Y-%m inbox
(1), Date::Parse, Date::Format, Mail::Box
Eric Dorland <email@example.com>