doveadm-instance - Manage the list of running Dovecot instances
] [-f formatter
] instance list
] instance remove name
The doveadm instance
commands are used to manage the list of Dovecot
instances running on the server. In most installations there is only one
Dovecot instance, but in some cases is may be useful to have more (e.g.
running director proxy and backend in the same server).
Instances are added to the list automatically when Dovecot is started. Each
instance is uniquely identified by its base_dir
setting. Instances can
be named by setting instance_name
in each instance's
. When an instance is named, it can be accessed easily by
giving -i instance_name
command line parameter for
Dovecot binaries (e.g. doveadm).
- Enables verbosity and debug messages.
- -f formatter
- Specifies the formatter for formatting the output.
Supported formatters are:
- prints each line with key=value
- prints each key: value pair on its own
line and separates records with form feed character (^L).
- prints a table header followed by tab separated value
- prints a table header followed by adjusted value
- -o setting=value
- Overrides the configuration setting from
/etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf and from the userdb with the given
value. In order to override multiple settings, the -o option
may be specified multiple times.
- Enables verbosity, including progress counter.
- The value of an instance's instance_name
doveadm instance list
- The base directory of a Dovecot instance.
This command lists the seen Dovecot instances.
doveadm instance remove name
This command removes the specified instance.
Report bugs, including doveconf -n
output, to the Dovecot Mailing List
<email@example.com>. Information about reporting bugs is available at: