dovecot-lda - Dovecot's local mail delivery agent
] [ -a address
] [ -c
] [ -d username
] [ -f
] [ -m mailbox
] [ -o
] [ -p path
is a local mail delivery agent which takes mail from an
MTA and delivers it to a user's mailbox, while keeping Dovecot index files up
Main features of the dovecot-lda
- Mailbox indexing during mail delivery, providing faster
mailbox access later
- Quota enforcing by the quota plugin
- Sieve language support by the Pigeonhole sieve plugin
Options accepted by dovecot-lda
- -a address
- Destination address (e.g. user+ext@domain). Default is the
same as username.
- -c config_file
- Alternative configuration file path.
- -d username
- Destination username. If given, the user information
is looked up from userdb. Typically used with virtual users, but not
necessarily with system users.
- If mail gets rejected, write the rejection reason to stderr
and exit with status 77 (EX_NOPERM). The default is to send a rejection
- -f envelope_sender
- Envelope sender address.
- Don't clear all environment at startup.
- -m mailbox
- Destination mailbox (default is INBOX). If the
mailbox doesn't exist, it will not be created (unless the
lda_mailbox_autocreate setting is set to yes). If a message
couldn't be saved to the mailbox for any reason, it's delivered to
- -o setting=value
- Overrides the configuration setting from
/etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf and from the userdb with the given
value. In order to override multiple settings, the -o option
may be specified multiple times.
- -p path
- Path to the mail to be delivered instead of reading from
stdin. If using maildir the file is hard linked to the destination if
possible. This allows a single mail to be delivered to multiple users
using hard links, but currently it also prevents deliver from updating
cache file so it shouldn't be used unless really necessary.
will exit with one of the following values:
- Delivery was successful. (EX_OK)
- Invalid parameter given. (EX_USAGE)
- -e option was used and mail was rejected. Typically
this happens when user is over quota and quota_full_tempfail = no
is configured. (EX_NOPERM)
- A temporary failure. This is returned for almost all
failures. See the log file for details. (EX_TEMPFAIL)
- Dovecot's main configuration file.
- Mailbox locations and namespaces.
- LDA specific settings.
- Plugin specific settings.
- Quota configuration.
Report bugs, including doveconf -n
output, to the Dovecot Mailing List
<firstname.lastname@example.org>. Information about reporting bugs is available at:
Related MTA specific documentation:
- postconf(5), transport(5),
- The accept router
- Generic options for transports
- The pipe transport