- manage events and tasks using simple text files
etm [logging level] [path] [?] [acmsv]
With no arguments, etm
will use settings from the configuration file
~/.etm/etmtk.cfg, set logging level
3 (warn) and open the GUI.
if the first argument is an integer not less than 1 (debug) and not greater than
5 (critical), then etm
will use that logging level
remove the argument.
If the first (remaining) argument is the path
to a directory which
contains a file named etm.cfg, then etm
will use that configuration
file and remove the argument.
If the first (remaining) argument is one of the commands listed below, then
will execute the remaining arguments without opening the GUI.
a ARG display the agenda view using ARG, if given, as a filter.
k ARG display the keywords view using ARG, if given, as a filter.
n ARGS Create a new item using the remaining arguments
as the item specification.
m INT display a report using the remaining argument, which must be a
positive integer, to display a report using the corresponding
entry from the file given by report_specifications in etmtk.cfg.
Use ? m to display the numbered list of entries from this file.
p ARG display the path view using ARG, if given, as a filter.
r ARGS display a report using the remaining arguments as the
s ARG display the schedule view using ARG, if given, as a filter.
t ARG display the tags view using ARG, if given, as a filter.
v display information about etm and the operating system.
? ARGS display (this) command line help information if ARGS = '' or,
if ARGS = X where X is one of the above commands, then display
details about command X. 'X ?' is equivalent to '? X'.
Group items by year, month and day together
etm r c ddd, MMM d yyyy
Fri, Apr 1 2011
items for April 1
Sat, Apr 2 2011
items for April 2
Data items begin with a data type character and continue on one or more lines
either until the end of the file is reached or another line is found that
begins with a type character. Data type characters and the associated data
- Action: a record of time and/or money spent.
- Event: happens on a particular date and time.
- Occasion: happens on a particular date, e.g., a holiday,
anniversary or birthday.
- Note: a record of some useful information.
- Task: something that needs to be done.
- Delegated task: a task assigned to someone else.
- Task group: a group of related tasks, some of which may be
prerequisites for others.
- Inbasket: quick entry to be edited later when time
- Someday maybe: remember but don't show in the common
- Hidden: remember but hide from all etm views except
- Defaults: set default options for subsequent entries in the
same data file.
The beginning data type character for each item is followed by the item summary
and then, perhaps, by one or more '@key value' option pairs. Examples:
- A sales meeting (an event) a week from today from 9:00am
until 10:00am with a 5 minute early warning alert:
* sales meeting @s +7 9a @e 1h @a 5
- Prepare a report (a task) for the meeting beginning 3 days
- prepare report @s +7 @b 3
- A 35 minute period (an action) spent working on the report
~ report preparation @s -1 @e 35
- Get a haircut (a task) on the 24th of the current month and
then [r]epeatedly at (d)aily [i]ntervals of 14 days and, [o]n completion,
(r)estart from the completion date:
- get haircut @s 24 @r d &i 14 @o r
- Do the jobs in the following task group in 'q' order to
finish the dog house project:
+ dog house
@j pickup lumber and paint &q 1
@j cut pieces &q 2
@j assemble &q 3
@j paint &q 4
- Payday (an occassion) on the last week day of each month.
The '&s' part of the entry extracts the last date which is both a
weekday and falls within the last three days of the month.):
^ payday @s 1/1 @r m &w (MO, TU, WE, TH, FR) &m (-1, -2, -3) &s -1
- Take a prescribed medication daily (a reminder) for the
next three days at 10am, 2pm, 6pm and 10pm and trigger the default alert
zero minutes before each event:
* take Rx @s +0 @r d &h 10, 14, 18, 22 &u +4 @a 0
- Presidential election day (an occassion) every four years
on the first Tuesday after a Monday in November:
^ Presidential Election Day @s 2012-11-06
@r y &i 4 &M 11 &m range(2,9) &w TU
- Join the etm discussion group (a task). Because of
the @g (goto) link, pressing Ctrl-G when the details of this item are
displayed in the gui would open the link using the system default
- join the etm discussion group
Extensive documentation can be found in the folder:
Please report bugs to the etm
Daniel A Graham <email@example.com>
Copyright (c) 2009-2014 [Daniel Graham]. All rights reserved.