- interactive SQL shell
fisql [-e] [-F] [-g] [-p] [-n] [-v] [-X] [-Y]
a [ -a display_charset] [-c cmdend]
a [ -D database] [-E editor]
a [ -h headers] [-H hostname] [-i inputfile]
a [ -I interfaces_file] [-J client_charset]
a [ -l login_timeout] [-m errorlevel]
a [ -o outputfile]
a [ -P password] [-s colseparator] [-S server]
a [ -t timeout] [-U username] [-w width]
a [ -y sybase_dir] [-z language]
is very similar to the "isql" utility programs
distributed by Sybase and Microsoft. Like them, fisql
uses the command
"go" on a line by itself as a separator between batches.
- -a display_charset
- The client charset name. Not implemented.
- -c cmdend
- Command terminator, defaults to go.
- Database name on the server to use.
- Echo SQL input (usually in outputfile)
- -E editor
- Specify an editor to invoke. Defaults to vi.
- FIPS mode ON. Server returns a message (but processes the
query anyway) when it encounters a non-standard SQL command.
- Display a brief help message
- -h headers
- Number of rows after which to repeat the column
headers. Default is once per resultset.
- -H hostname
- Hostname of the client machine as it will be told to the
- -I interfaces_file
- Name of the interfaces or freetds.conf file to use.
- -i inputfile
- Name of script file, containing SQL.
- -J client_charset
- Not implemented.
- -l login_timeout
- How long to wait for the server to acknowledge a
- -m errorlevel
- For errors of the severity level specified or higher, print
only the message number, state, and error level. Below that level, print
- Suppress line numbers in echoed output.
- -o outputfile
- Name of output file, holding result data.
- Prints performance statistics. Not implemented.
- -P password
- Database server password.
- -s colseparator
- The column separator. Default is space. Shell
metacharacters require quoting.
- -S server
- Database server to which to connect.
- -t timeout
- The query timeout, in seconds. How long to wait for
a query to be processed. The default is indefinitely, or as determined by
- -U username
- Database server login name.
- Display version and copyright.
- -w width
- How many characters wide to print the output. Defaults to
- Use encrypted login. Not implemented in FreeTDS.
- -y sybase_dir
- Sets the SYBASE environment variable. Not used by
- Use chained transactions.
- -z language
- Name of a language for fisql's prompts and
messages. Cf. DBSETLNATLANG.
is a filter; it reads from standard input, writes to standard
output, and writes errors to standard error. The -i
options override these, of course.
uses the db-lib API provided by FreeTDS. It was first implemented
using Sybase's own library and continues to work with it. Before (and after)
modifying it, it would be well to test it with Sybase's library to assure
compatibility between it and FreeTDS.
exits 0 on success, and >0 if the server
will report any errors returned by the server
, but will
continue processing. In a production environment, this behavior may be
insufficiently stringent. To make it extremely intolerant of errors, change
the message and error handlers to call exit
first appeared in FreeTDS 0.65.
utility was written by Nicholas S. Castellano
<firstname.lastname@example.org>, who contributed it to the FreeTDS project under
the terms of the GPL.
Requires the GNU readline library.