fpdns - DNS server fingeprinting tool
] [ -f
[ -F nchild
[ -p port
[ -Q srcaddr
[ -S separator
] [ -v
is a program that remotely determines DNS server versions. It does
this by sending a series of borderline DNS queries which are compared against
a table of responses and server versions.
False positives or incorrect versions may be reported when trying to identify a
set of servers residing behind a load-balancing apparatus where the servers
are of different implementations, when a specific implementation behaves like
a forwarder, behind a firewall without statefull inspection or without
- Enable debugging. Off by default.
- Check all authoritative servers of the specified domain
- Force checking of CH TXT version. Off by default.
- -F nchild
- Maximum number of forked child processes. Defaults to
- -p port
- Port to query remote nameserver on. Default is 53.
- -Q srcaddr
- Set the source IP address to use.
- -r retry
- Number of attempt to retry fingerprints. Defaults to
- Short display form. Useful for surveys.
- Separator. Defaults to " ".
- -t timeout
- Set the query timeout in seconds. Defaults to 5.
- Use TCP instead of UDP.
- Show version of fpdns.
- IP address or name to query. Alternatively may be '-' to
read from a list of these from stdin
fpdns was written by Roy Arends and Jakob Schlyter.