- OpenDNSSEC timing specification
The configuration files of OpenDNSSEC need to have timing descriptions, notably
for periods. These descriptions follow ISO 8601 with exceptions for the
duration of a month and a year, as these periods would be allowed to vary if
ISO 8601 were strictly adhered to.
Durations are represented by the format P[n]Y[n]M[n]DT[n]H[n]M[n]S
these representations, the [n]
is replaced by the value for each of the
date and time elements that follow the [n]
. Leading zeros are not
required. The capital letters P
are designators for each
of the date and time elements and are not replaced
- is the duration designator (historically called
"period") placed at the start of the duration
- is the year designator that follows the value for the
number of years.
- is the month designator that follows the value for the
number of months.
- is the week designator that follows the value for the
number of weeks.
- is the day designator that follows the value for the number
- is the time designator that precedes the time components of
- is the hour designator that follows the value for the
number of hours.
- is the minute designator that follows the value for the
number of minutes.
- is the second designator that follows the value for the
number of seconds.
For example, P3Y6M4DT12H30M5S
represents a duration of "three years,
six months, four days, twelve hours, thirty minutes, and five seconds".
Date and time elements including their designator may be omitted if their
value is zero, and lower order elements may also be omitted for reduced
precision. For example, P23DT23H
are both acceptable
A year or month vary in duration depending on the current date. For OpenDNSSEC,
we assume fixed values.
- One month
- is assumed to be 31 days.
- One year
- is assumed to be 365 days.
This exception may or may not change in future releases of OpenDNSSEC. The
reason for making this exception is to avoid complicating this software in a
way that may not meet any practical need.
ods-control(8), ods-enforcerd(8), ods-enforcer(8), ods-signerd(8),
ods-signer(8), ods-kasp(5), ods-kaspcheck(1), ods-timing(5), ods-hsmspeed(1),
ods-hsmutil(1), opendnssec(7), ISO 8601, http://www.opendnssec.org/
was made by the OpenDNSSEC project, to be found on