sane-matsushita - SANE backend for Panasonic KV-SS high speed scanners
library implements a SANE (Scanner Access Now Easy)
backend that provides access to some Panasonic KV-SS high speed scanners. This
backend is stable.
At present, the following scanners are known to work with this backend:
(*) WARNING: None of the advanced options of these scanners are available (ie no
color, no high resolution, no automatic cropping). Basically, the driver does
no more than what it does for the KV-SS25. I don't have access to such
scanners, and thus cannot add these options.
Other Panasonic high speed scanners may or may not work with that backend.
Valid command line options and their syntax can be listed by using
scanimage --help -d matsushita
- Scan Mode
- selects the basic mode of operation of the scanner.
- selects the resolution for a scan. Each model supports all
or a subset of these resolutions: 100, 150, 200, 240, 300, 360, 400.
- indicates whether to scan both side of the sheet.
- selects the number of pages to scan (one or until the tray
- --paper-size A4|...|Legal|Letter [A4]
- options selects the area to scan. It adjust the -l -t -x
-y options accordingly. It does not need to be the real size of the
- -l -t -x -y
- control the scan area: -l sets the top left x coordinate,
-t the top left y coordinate, -x selects the width and -y the height of
the scan area. All parameters are specified in millimeters. It is possible
to use the option --paper-size instead.
- controls the brightness of the acquired image. The value
varies from 1 to 255, or less, depending on the scanner model.
- controls the contrast of the acquired image. Some models do
not support that option.
- automatically sets brightness, contrast, white level,
gamma, noise reduction and image emphasis. These options are not available
when automatic-threshold is in use.
- option sets the tonal gradation for the halftone mode.
Pattern downloading is not implemented by the backend.
- provides automatic separation of text and images.
- option indicate the source of the white base.
- reduces the isolated dot noise. This option is not
supported by all scanners.
- option sets the image emphasis. Some selection are not
available on all scanners.
- options set the gamma curve. It is only valid for Gray
modes, and is not available on all scanners. Gamma downloading is not
implemented by the backend.
The configuration file /etc/sane.d/matsushita.conf supports the device name to
use (eg /dev/scanner) and the SCSI option to auto-detect the scanners
- The static library implementing this backend.
- The shared library implementing this backend (present on
systems that support dynamic loading).
- If the library was compiled with debug support enabled,
this environment variable controls the debug level for this backend. E.g.,
a value of 128 requests all debug output to be printed. Smaller levels
- Memory in the KV-SS 25
- The KV-SS 25 has not enough internal memory to scan a whole
A4 page in duplex mode at high resolution. The frontend will return a
memory error in that case. Apparently, the KV-SS 25D has not that
- Pattern and gamma downloading
- The scanner, with the proper firmware, can download a
halftone pattern and a gamma table. This is not implemented.
- The scanner can support up to 3 sub-areas on each side to
define some more precise enhancement options. This is not
- Duplex mode
- The backend does not support the setting of different
options for each side. The scan will occur with the same options (halftone
pattern, brightness, image emphasis) for both sides.
To date, the only frontend capable of using this scanner at full speed is
A scanadf command line would be:
scanadf -d matsushita --output-file scan%04d.pbm --start-count 0 --duplex
--resolution 300 --feeder-mode="All pages"
sane-scsi(5), scanimage(1), xscanimage(1), xsane(1), sane(7)
- The package is actively maintained by Frank Zago.