flow - strange attractors.
] [-visual visual
[-window] [-root] [-count number
] [-cycles number
[-periodic|-no-periodic] [-search|-no-search] [-rotate|-no-rotate]
[-ride|-no-ride] [-box|-no-box] [-dbuf|-no-dbuf] [-ncolors number
Strange attractors formed of flows in a 3D differential equation phase space.
Features the popular attractors described by Lorentz
, and can discover entirely new attractors
- -visual visual
- Specify which visual to use. Legal values are the name of a
visual class, or the id number (decimal or hex) of a specific visual.
- Draw on a newly-created window. This is the default.
- Draw on the root window.
- -count number
- Number of particles in the flow. Default: 3000
- -size number
- Length of particle trails. Negative values indicate
randomness. The computational load of a given flow depends on (particle
count) * (trail length). Default: -10
- -cycles number
- Timeout before changing objects. 0 - 800000. Default:
- turn on/off periodic attractors. These are flows in 2
dependent variables, with a periodic dependence on a third independent
variable (eg time). Flow will sometimes choose to start all the particles
in the same phase to illustrate the flow's cross-section. Default: on
- turn on/off search for new attractors. If this is enabled,
a fraction of the computing cycles is directed to searching a
60-dimensional parameter space for new strange attractors. If periodic
flows are enabled, these can be searched too. Watch carefully - you are
quite likely to see mathematical objects that have never been seen before,
and since the parameters are not recorded, you'll probably never see them
again! Default: on
- turn on/off rotating around attractor. Default: on
- turn on/off ride in the flow. Default: on
If both -rotate and -ride are enabled the viewpoint will occasionally fly
between the two views.
- turn on/off bounding box. Default: on
- turn on/off double buffering. If Flow runs slowly in full
screen, but fast in a smaller window (eg on old graphics cards with too
little memory), try turning this option off. Default: on
- -ncolors number
- Number of Colors. Default: 200.
- -delay number
- Per-frame delay, in microseconds. Default: 10000 (0.01
- Display the current frame rate and CPU load.
- to get the default host and display number.
- to get the name of a resource file that overrides the
global resources stored in the RESOURCE_MANAGER property.
Copyright (c) 1996 by Tim Auckland <Tim.Auckland@Procket.com>
Incorporating some code from Stephen Davies Copyright (c) 2000
Search code based on techniques described in "Strange Attractors: Creating
Patterns in Chaos" by Julien C. Sprott
Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software and its
documentation for any purpose and without fee is hereby granted, provided that
the above copyright notice appear in all copies and that both that copyright
notice and this permission notice appear in supporting documentation.
This file is provided AS IS with no warranties of any kind. The author shall
have no liability with respect to the infringement of copyrights, trade
secrets or any patents by this file or any part thereof. In no event will the
author be liable for any lost revenue or profits or other special, indirect
and consequential damages.
Adapted from swarm.c Copyright (c) 1991 by Patrick J. Naughton.
Adapted from xswarm by Jeff Butterworth. (firstname.lastname@example.org).