lafe - Latency Free Empire client
lafe country [password [host [port]]]
is an empire client optimized for high latency links. You can type
in, edit, and send several commands before the server replies with output from
the first command. This allows you to make better use of the existing
bandwidth than most other clients. pei
susceptible to latency, as they require a complete exchange of data before
prompting again. lafe
could also be called LAg Free Empire. Empire 2
asynch features are supported. Empire 3 C_SYNC isn't supported, as this is a
rather dumb client (in between emp_client and eif) and C_SYNC was removed from
Empire 4 (Wolfpack). Readline is supported, and at the moment required. If you
without readline, use emp_client
- If the only parameter this is use as a key to look up the
game name as specified by the addgame commands in the $HOME/.laferc file.
Otherwise it is used as the country name on the server. Defaults to
'visitor' if unspecified.
- defaults to 'visitor' if unspecified.
- defaults to 188.8.131.52 if unspecified.
- defaults to 6667 if unspecified.
- print syntax summary of local commands.
- game country password host port logfile directory
add a game definition for the "lafe game" startup method.
- Handles exec scripts locally
- Runs the argument as a shell command, and sends the output
to the server shell Run the argument as a shell script
- Print, delete, or define an alias. Use single quotes around
the alias definition to protect $*, $1, $2, ...
- Set, delete, or print local variables.
- Run parameters in a subshell.
- print the previous commands.
- toggle verbosity of message. "verbose on" if you
want all the error messages, C_SYNC messages, etc. Off by default.
- Wait for all responses from server before proceeding.
Useful in scripts before a runfeed or shell command.
Environment variables are supported for backward compatibility with
This information is best placed in the $HOME/.laferc file
using the addgame command.
- hostname of server
- TCP/IP port number of server
- Country name to log in as
- Password for country
- contains any valid local commands to run before connecting
to a server.
emp_server(6), emp_client(6), emp_hub(6), pei(6), eif(6),
Output redirection does not work with aliases and internal commands.
Simultaneous connection to multiple servers is not yet supported. Version 1.0
addresses both of these issues, but has stalled due to lack of time.
When typing well ahead of the server, lafe must guess whether a local command
should be parsed locally or forwarded to the server (as part of a telegram for
instance). It guesses local, which is not always correct. This is the price
you pay for speed.
This manual page was written by Drake Diedrich <firstname.lastname@example.org>