petri - simulates mold growing in a petri dish
] [-foreground color
] [-window] [-root] [-mono] [-install] [-visual
] [-delay microseconds
] [-size integer
] [-count integer
] [-anychan real
] [-minorchan real
] [-minlifespeed real
] [-mindeathspeed real
] [-maxdeathspeed real
] [-maxlifespan integer
simulates mold growing in a petri dish via a state-heavy grid of
automata (vaguely like Conway's Life, only with much more state per cell).
accepts the following options:
- Draw on a newly-created window. This is the default.
- Draw on the root window.
- If on a color display, pretend we're on a monochrome
- Install a private colormap for the window.
- -visual visual
- Which visual to use. Legal values are the name of a visual
class, or the id number (decimal or hex) of a specific visual.
- -delay microseconds
- The interframe delay, in microseconds. Defaults to 10000,
- -size integer
- The size of a cell in pixels. Defaults to 4, resource
- -mem-throttle amount
- The maximum amount of memory to consume, specified either
in megabytes (suffix "M"), kilobytes (suffix "K"), or
bytes (sans suffix). In order to meet the memory requirement, the cell
size may be increased. Defaults to 22M, resource memThrottle.
- -count integer
- How many different varieties of mold to grow (including
Black Death). Defaults to 8, resource count.
- If specified, indicates that the colors used should be the
artist's original choices (a fixed set of primary and secondary colors).
In this case, count must be 8 or less. Defaults to not specified (i.e.,
false), resource originalcolors.
- -diaglim real
- The age limit for diagonal growth as a multiplier of
orthogonal growth (range 1..2). 1 means square growth, 1.414 (i.e.,
sqrt(2)) means approximately circular growth, 2 means diamond
growth. Defaults to 1.414, resource diaglim.
- -anychan real
- The chance (range 0..1) that at each iteration, one or more
new cells will be born. Defaults to 0.0015, resource anychan.
- -minorchan real
- The chance (range 0..1) that, given that new cells will be
born, that only two will be added (hence being a minor cell birth event).
Defaults to 0.5, resource minorchan.
- -instantdeathchan real
- The chance (range 0..1) that, given that death and
destruction will happen, that instead of using Black Death cells, death
will come instantaneously. Defaults to 0.2, resource
- -minlifespeed real
- The minimum speed for living cells as a fraction of the
maximum possible speed (range 0..1). Defaults to 0.04, resource
- -maxlifespeed real
- The maximum speed for living cells as a fraction of the
maximum possible speed (range 0..1). Defaults to 0.13, resource
- -mindeathspeed real
- The minimum speed for Black Death cells as a fraction of
the maximum possible speed (range 0..1). Defaults to 0.42, resource
- -maxdeathspeed real
- The maximum speed for Black Death cells as a fraction of
the maximum possible speed (range 0..1). Defaults to 0.46, resource
- -minlifespan integer
- The minimum lifespan for a colony, in iterations, before
Black Death comes. Defaults to 500, resource minlifespan.
- -maxlifespan integer
- The maximum lifespan for a colony, in iterations, before
Black Death comes. Defaults to 1500, resource maxlifespan.
- Display the current frame rate and CPU load.
- to get the default host and display number.
- to get the name of a resource file that overrides the
global resources stored in the RESOURCE_MANAGER property.
There are resource equivalents for each option, noted above.
There are no known bugs in petri
as of this writing.
Copyright © 1992-2000 by Dan Bornstein.
Permission to use, copy, modify, distribute, and sell this software and its
documentation for any purpose is hereby granted without fee, provided that the
above copyright notice appear in all copies and that both that copyright
notice and this permission notice appear in supporting documentation. No
representations are made about the suitability of this software for any
purpose. It is provided "as is" without express or implied warranty.
Dan Bornstein <firstname.lastname@example.org>, 06-Jul-2000.