fai-make-nfsroot - create the FAI nfsroot directory
Create the FAI nfsroot directory as pointed by $NFSROOT in the config_file. This
directory is necessary for the installation of Debian on remote clients using
the FAI package. The config_file location is discussed in the OPTIONS below.
The exit code returned is 0 if all commands to build the root directory exited
successfully and >0 if an error occurs.
- Adjust a generic nfsroot. Add resolv.conf, add host
entries, set the root password.
- -B BASETGZ
- Use specified BASETGZ file as base.tgz (or base.tar.gz,
base.tar.xz, base.txz) for the nfsroot. This avoids calling debootstrap
and therefore reduces the buildtime for the nfsroot.
- -C CFDIR
- Use CFDIR as configuration directory. Default is /etc/fai.
You can also set the environment variable FAI_ETC_DIR.
- Force overwriting an existing nfsroot. By default
fai-make-nfsroot aborts if the configuration variable NFSROOT points to a
directory which already exists. To force overwriting (and therefore
rebuilding) the existing nfsroot use this option. This option is supported
starting with FAI 4.0. Note: To update and therefore preserve an existing
nfsroot see option -k.
- Create a generic nfsroot. Remove most install server
specific data from nfsroot. See also -a.
- Remove all kernels from NFSROOT. This is the same as
calling aptitude purge ~nlinux-image inside the nfsroot.
- Install additional packages defined in /etc/fai/NFSROOT
into the nfsroot. Also copies all kernels from the nfsroot to the
directory $TFTPROOT. You can use this option, to upgrade all packages
inside the nfsroot.
- Preserve ssh configs including the keys of the root
account. This will not preserve the ssh host keys inside the nfsroot.
- Create verbose output on stdout.
- Show simple help.
- Use gzip for compressing the base.tar file. Default is to
If you do not use NFS, you may still use the NFSROOT directory as a staging
point for building the base installation tarball.
This program is part of FAI (Fully Automatic Installation). See the FAI manual
for more information on how to use fai-make-nfsroot. The FAI homepage is
- The FAI configuration file.
- The configuration file for fai-make-nfsroot.
- Directory containing shell scripts to be sourced at the end
of fai-make-nfsroot for additional configuration of the nfsroot. Can be
changed with NFSROOT_HOOKS.
- Copy this file to the NFSROOT.
- Repository keys in .asc format found here will be installed
into the NFSROOT.
- The script will write the values of FAI_VERSION and NFSROOT
to this file.
Thomas Lange <email@example.com>