ntfsprogs - tools for doing neat things with NTFS
is a suite of NTFS utilities based around a shared library. The
tools are available for free and come with full source code.
(8) - Create an NTFS filesystem.
(8) - Dump a file's content to the standard output.
(8) - Efficiently clone, backup, restore or rescue NTFS.
(8) - Locate the files which use the given sectors or
(8) - Compare two NTFS filesystems and tell the differences.
(8) - Copy a file to an NTFS volume.
(8) - Check and fix some common errors, clear the LogFile and make
Windows perform a thorough check next time it boots.
(8) - Show information about NTFS or one of the files or
directories within it.
(8) - Show, or set, an NTFS filesystem's volume label.
(8) - List information about files in a directory residing on an
(8) - Resize NTFS without losing data.
(8) - Truncate a file on an NTFS volume.
(8) - Recover deleted files from NTFS.
(8) - Overwrite unused space on an NTFS volume.
The tools were written by Anton Altaparmakov, Carmelo Kintana, Cristian Klein,
Erik Sornes, Giang Nguyen, Holger Ohmacht, Lode Leroy, Matthew J. Fanto, Per
Olofsson, Richard Russon, Szabolcs Szakacsits, Yura Pakhuchiy and Yuval
are part of the ntfs-3g
package which can be