powertop - a power consumption and power management diagnosis tool.
is a program that helps to diagnose various issues with power
consumption and power management. It also has an interactive mode allowing one
to experiment with various power management settings. When invoking powertop
without arguments powertop starts in interactive mode.
- Set all tunable options to their good setting without
- -c, --calibrate
- Runs powertop in calibration mode. When running on battery,
powertop can track power consumption as well as system activity. When
there are enough measurements, powertop can start to report power
estimates. One can get more accurate estimates by using this option to
enable a calibration cycle. This will cycle through various display levels
and USB device activities and workloads.
- -C, --csv[=filename]
- Generate a CSV report. If a filename is not
specified then the default name powertop.csv is used. The CSV
report can be used for reporting and data analysis.
- Run in debug mode.
- Use the Extech Power Analyzer for measurements. This allows
one to specify the serial device node of the serial to USB adaptor
connecting to the Extech Power Analyzer, for example
- -r, --html[=filename]
- Generate an HTML report. If a filename is not
specified then the default name powertop.html is used. The HTML
report can be sent to others to help diagnose power issues.
- -i, --iteration[=iterations]
- Number of times to run each test.
- -q, --quiet
- Suppress stderr output.
- -t, --time[=seconds]
- Generate a report for a specified number of
- -w, --workload[=workload]
- Execute workload file as a part of calibration
before making a report.
- -V, --version
- Print version information and exit.
- -h, --help
- Show the help message and exit.
In interactive mode, the following key bindings are available:
||Show next tab
||Show previous tab
||Scroll to the right
||Scroll to the left
|Up Arrow, PageUp
||Scroll up or select previous item
|Down Arrow, PageDown
||Scroll down or select next item
||Activate current item
||Set refresh timeout
|q, Ctrl-C, Escape
Send bug reports to
The program is more fully described at
powertop was written by
Arjan van de
and is currently maintained by