qmail-queue - queue a mail message for delivery
reads a mail message from descriptor 0. It then reads
envelope information from descriptor 1. It places the message into the
outgoing queue for future delivery by qmail-send
The envelope information is an envelope sender address followed by a list of
envelope recipient addresses. The sender address is preceded by the letter F
and terminated by a 0 byte. Each recipient address is preceded by the letter T
and terminated by a 0 byte. The list of recipient addresses is terminated by
an extra 0 byte. If qmail-queue
sees end-of-file before the extra 0
byte, it aborts without placing the message into the queue.
Every envelope recipient address should contain a username, an @ sign, and a
fully qualified domain name.
always adds a Received
line to the top of the message.
Other than this, qmail-queue
does not inspect the message and does not
enforce any restrictions on its contents. However, the recipients probably
expect to see a proper header, as described in qmail-header(5)
Programs included with qmail which invoke qmail-queue
will invoke the
contents of $QMAILQUEUE
instead, if that environment variable is set.
imposes two constraints on the queue structure: each
subdirectory must be in the same filesystem as the pid
directory; and each todo
subdirectory must be in the same filesystem as
does not print diagnostics. It exits 0 if it has successfully
queued the message. It exits between 1 and 99 if it has failed to queue the
error codes between 11 and 40 indicate permanent errors:
- Address too long.
- Mail server permanently refuses to send the message to any
recipients. (Not used by qmail-queue, but can be used by programs
offering the same interface.)
All other qmail-queue
error codes indicate temporary errors:
- Out of memory.
- Write error; e.g., disk full.
- Unable to read the message or envelope.
- Unable to read a configuration file. (Not used by
- Problem making a network connection from this host. (Not
used by qmail-queue.)
- Problem with the qmail home directory.
- Problem with the queue directory.
- Problem with queue/pid.
- Problem with queue/mess.
- Problem with queue/intd.
- Problem with queue/todo.
- Mail server temporarily refuses to send the message to any
recipients. (Not used by qmail-queue.)
- Connection to mail server timed out. (Not used by
- Connection to mail server rejected. (Not used by
- Connection to mail server succeeded, but communication
failed. (Not used by qmail-queue.)
- Internal bug; e.g., segmentation fault.
- Envelope format error.
addresses(5), envelopes(5), qmail-header(5), qmail-inject(8), qmail-qmqpc(8),