sinfod - a monitoring tool for networked computers
sinfod [-F] [-q] [-V] [-b #.#.#.#] [-c] [-n card ] [ -N
nicevalue ] [ -m marker ] [ -i processname
distributes system information to other sinfods
These Information include the system load, memory utilization and the `TOP-5'
processes on every machine.
It's main advantage is, that these informations are broadcasted using the
If each node broadcasts it's information in a cooperative manner, the network
load is O(N), where N is the number of nodes in your network. Other systems to
monitor your cluster load (e.g. rup(1)
) are using a polling scheme
where every node has to ask every other node for the system information: In
that case the network load is O(N**2).
The task of sinfod
is to broadcast the relevant information for the local
node and to collect broadcasts from other nodes. Other programs (
) can get access to this information via a simple
connection that normally is routed through the local loopback
- Unlike normal operation, sinfod will not detach from the
terminal when given this option. Some debugging informations will be
- Start quietly - for init scripts.
- Print the version number and exit.
- -b #.#.#.#/--bcastaddress=#.#.#.#
- Set the broadcast address of the sinfod. Default is
255.255.255.255. In you want to run sinfod without a network card
"-b 127.0.0.1" may be necessary.
- Broadcast the full command line of a process instead of the
- -m marker/--marker=marker
- Mark the machine with a name. e.g. laboratory, pool or
- -i/--ignore <process>
- Don't broadcast any information on <process> ;
--ignore may be set multiple times.
- -t/--top <count>
- Broadcast information on the top <count> processes;
- -n card/--networkcard=card
- Set the name of the network card whose informations will be
broadcasted. (e.g. eth0). Default is the network card that saw the most
traffic at the start of sinfod.
- -N nicevalue/--nice=nicevalue
- Set the priority of this demon to nicevalue. Default is
- Deactivate the TCP interface and the collection of received
packets. The demon starts in a broadcast-only mode.
- Start with simple watchdog.
Juergen Rinas <firstname.lastname@example.org>